Driving 55

55. Is it just a number? Is it the average highway speed in the U.S.? Is it the true number of mid life? It's amazing how numbers have meanings beyond the obvious. They also have implications beyond the obvious. There are some advantages to 55. If you are driving that fast, you get there a little quicker than say 35 mph. If you are driving that fast in a 35 mph speed zone, then you have just bought an expensive ticket. If the temperature is 55, then it's cool outside. If you are a woman and you are 55, most likely you're in menopause so you are HOT no matter what the outside temperature is. If you are 55, you may get a discounted meal at a chain restaurant or a "special savings" day at the local department store. The same store will have a limited choice of merchandise geared towards your clothing style - let alone a choice of items that don't scream MIDDLE AGE! UGH!
I turned 55 this week. I had some nice surprises like a visit with a long time friend that I hadn't seen in a few years. My son Josh pulled this surprise off and was quite proud of himself, rightfully so. I got to go out to dinner with some family members that was a nice treat. They didn't offer me a senior discount - thank goodness!
I am not usually hung up on numbers - especially ages. I actually had a great time in my forties, but for some reason this 50+ thing is tough. Seems like I can't get the physical aspects to match what is in my head. I don't feel past my prime but I don't look like I feel or want to feel. I have to really get on the ball and get myself back together.
I am in a great place in my personal life relationships. I am totally so unbelieveably in love that it is crazy! I have two great kids with great families, a Mom I am best friends with and family that means a lot to me.
I lost Dad this year and that has been a tough go. I have days where I am at peace with it because he was so miserable, but I have nights of sleeplessness and random thoughts throughout the day sometimes where I have total sadness and regret at the things "we should have done or talked about." I'm told this is normal. Not sure I like this kind of normal
Got quoted in the Arizona Republic again today. I think Mom and Gary were even more excited than me. I would love to be able to be a regular columnist or contributor. I've had this dang writing bug since I wrote a piece for the San Gabriel Valley Tribune as a kid.
Well the alternatives to not driving 55 when posted are certain, and not being 55 has an alternative that I don't choose - I'd rather live a little more wrinkled and plus size than not be here at all. In fact, I can think of 55 reasons why.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home